Why Do You Use Oil Painting Mediums?
Oil painting mediums modify the working properties of paint, such as drying rates, transparency, and surface quality. Your oil paint comes with a medium in it, linseed oil, but you can add an additional medium to change the consistency and drying time of your paint.
4 Oil Painting Mediums I Use
I use 4 mediums (well, one is actually a solvent, Gamsol, which is a brush cleaner made of mineral spirit, nevertheless), they are:
Gamblin Galkyd - ideal for underpainting, alla prima painting, and plein air painting. Drying time is 1-2 days
Gamblin Neo Megilp - great for glazes and general medium to improve the flow and gloss of the paint. Drying time is 3-4 days
Gamblin Solvent-Free Gel - thickens the paint, adds a gloss, and keeps brush strokes. Drying time 3-4 days.
Gamsol - thins paint, speeds drying time, great for scriptwriting, and cleans paintbrushes.
In the course "Ultimate Oil Painting Supply Guide", I offer a video "Which Medium Should I use and Why" and a downloadable that provides a fantastic cheat sheet for when to use these 4 mediums.
Now, there are other mediums available, like wax, slow drying, and so on...but before you go buy them all, master a few and these are the few I recommend mastering before you proceed to expand the comfort zone. Once you have figured out how to use these few, by all means, experiment!
When you join the Positive Painters Online Artist Community you'll be provided with The Ultimate Oil Painting Supply Guide Course which is FULL of great tips and advice about oil painting supplies that took 2 decades to collect. Here is what you'll learn:
- the difference between quality paint and cheap paint in how they perform.
- the difference between the palette options and why you would choose one over another.
- where to save your money and invest in quality supplies.
- the different types of painting surfaces; panels vs. canvas.
- what the value and purpose mediums and when to use them to make the paint perform differently (dry faster, slower, leave brush strokes, etc.).
- the different types of brushes and how to care for them.
You'll be provided with:
- 8 Instructional videos that detail the What, Why, and Hows of Oil Painting Supplies.
- 8 Downloadable ebooks to take with you to the art supply store or purchase the supplies from the comfort of your home.
- Closed Captioning is included in each video.
Become a Member to Get - The Ultimate Oil Painting Guide Course and so much more!
Please note: I am an affiliate with Amazon and Blick Art materials which means I may receive commissions when you click my links and make purchases. However, this does not impact my reviews and comparisons. I only advocate products I believe in.
Oil Painting Medium Purchase Recommendation
Gamblin makes a great sample kit to try various oil painting mediums and for a fabulous price. If you get this I'd still recommend getting a larger container of the Gamsol so that you can fill the brush cleaning tank reservoir.
Other articles that you may enjoy are:
- What is the Best Oil Painting Palette?
What are the Best Oil Painting Brushes? Or What Oil Painting Brushes is Recommended for a Beginner Oil Painter?
- What is the Best Oil Painting Easel?
- Ultimate Guide to Oil Painting Supplies
- What is the Best Oil Paint Brand? And What Oil Paint Colors Do I need?
- Unboxing Video of Fabulous Rosemary & Co Oil Painting Brushes You'll Love
- What is the Best Oil Painting Surface to Paint On?
- Why Do You Use Oil Painting Mediums?